The dictionary definition of the abbreviation V offers the following:
1. velocity 2. victory 3. vocative 4. volt 5. volume 6. vowel .
Our own definitions also include:
1. V. is for very. We publish work that is very very. This is not to say that we favour extreme art or experimental over mainstream. Nor do we adhere to one set tradition, theme, approach, fashion...or fad. Rather it means that we look for work that is distinctive, very itself. For the reader, this translates as offering them an experience we hope will be very exciting, very moving, very impactful..very what they do and don't expect.
2. V. is for vivid - not vague.
3. V. is for the stereotypical ideogram of a bird in flight. One-dimensional or stereotypical art does not interest us. However, writing that evokes clear images does. As do words in metaphorical flight.
4. Yes, we know V is also a two-finger gesture...
5. We are also all in favour of healthy exercise.
6. Historically, V. is also for the five Vs, four of whom feature in the anthology The Vaginellas, which is the first book published by V. Press.
7. Historically, again, the next link may go without saying, but, if not, click to fill the ellipsis...
8. Finally, V. is for an as yet unpulled wishbone. In terms of our readers, we hope that V. Press books will be ones to wish for. In terms of our poets, we see our partnership with them in terms of marketing and promotion as resembling a wishbone. In practical terms, this means that though we think good writers should be able to spend the majority of their time creating rather than promoting, in reality this is a joint endeavour. We are too small to take on poets who never wish to leave their garret to do readings, talk to real people or actively help to sell their book. However, nor do we expect poets to do all their own marketing. The exact length of the two parts of this cracked wishbone will depend on a variety of factors and agreed on an individual poet and collection basis.
Editorial, Management and Marketing - S.A. Leavesley
Editorial and Design - Ruth Stacey
VPoetry Press Ltd (Company No.08579269) trading as V. Press.